Thursday, January 14, 2010

(dis)respect

I am always amazed at how kids act these days. I have been substitute teaching for years and every now and then there is one kid who feels that rules don't apply to them. I don't have many rules as a sub...no cell phones and no profanity. Not difficult. However, I seem to have to remind my students that the classroom is not a place for profanity, especially not towards me.

Today I had the wonderful experience of being called a bitch after telling my student (numerous times) to put away their cell phones. I even looked at the girl and said that I would hate to have to take someone's cell phone so put them away. Then she called me a bitch. WOW. Is that really necessary? This never happens in my art classes. There are times I question my own excitement for teaching.