Monday, January 11, 2010

preview to student teaching....

I have been substitute teaching for the past two years. I have seen the good, the bad, and the stupid. I have taught art, biology, drama, economics, social studies, health and government. I have taught in middle school (hope to never do that again) and high school. I have had students take referrals over changing their seats. I have been told to f@*! off for taking a student's phone. I have had students come to class with casts on - when asked what happened, I was told the student was stabbed. I have been given excuses of tardiness due to fighting ninjas to save a princess. After watching a film on the influenza epidemic, I had a student tell me he wasn't feeling well due to emphysema "like in the film." None of this will prepare me for what is in store for me in the next 20 weeks (starting the 25th of January). I will have three 3-d art classes. Mine. Every day. For 20 weeks.